Google launched the primary Android P developer preview for the Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel, and Pixel XL. If you personal this sort of telephones, you can set up it at the moment. But whilst a brand new model of Android is all the time thrilling, keep in mind that Google releases those builds for builders, no longer customers.
So is Android P strong sufficient to set up to your smartphone? I’ve been the usage of the primary developer preview for a couple of days, so most likely my stories can lend a hand you come to a decision.
Android P Developer Preview 1 steadiness and battery lifestyles
I’ve been operating the Android P developer preview on my Pixel XL for the reason that preview used to be launched on March 7.
This isn’t the least strong model of Android I’ve ever used, but it surely’s a ways from essentially the most. Even despite the fact that I’ve come throughout fewer problems than standard when navigating the UI, a lot of apps crashed. Google Wallpapers and Maps like to power shut on me, and Google Assistant has some insects on this unencumber too.
My telephone’s wallpaper additionally is going totally black each as soon as in awhile, despite the fact that leaping into the Wallpapers app to reset it most often does the trick — when Wallpapers doesn’t shut on me, this is.
Battery lifestyles has been unusually first rate, a minimum of for a developer preview. I don’t assume I’ll be in a position to reach my standard four-to-five hours of screen-on time, however 3 hours is without a doubt potential. I’ve even been hooked up to Project Fi’s community this whole time and haven’t spotted any important battery drain.
So is Android P strong sufficient to use to your major smartphone? No. I don’t suggest the usage of it on a telephone you need. The final thing you need an unusable telephone when you truly need it.
Other recognized problems
Google’s unencumber notes web page lists many extra insects related to this replace:
- System and app efficiency is understood to be periodically gradual and janky, and gadgets would possibly develop into once in a while unresponsive.
- Battery lifestyles could also be regressed on this early unencumber for screen-on and screen-off use circumstances.
- The Google Assistant doesn’t acknowledge the “Ok Google” hotword if it’s educated all over setup. By retraining the Google Assistant after completing the setup workflow, alternatively, you can then use the hotword.
- Google Assistant doesn’t load any knowledge for the “What’s on my screen” question.
- If Google Assistant is introduced after docking a couple of apps in split-screen mode, urgent the Home button doesn’t show your complete house display screen.
- When recording a brand new development for unlocking the software, the gadget most effective presentations the primary few segments of the development.
- When the Autofill UI is proven for an app and the app is killed, the UI would possibly display till the software is restarted.
- When viewing the All Apps display screen, the Wallpapers, Widgets, and Home Settings buttons each and every seem in white close to the ground of the display screen.
- Bluetooth crashes if a Host Controller Interface (HCI) command occasions out.
There are many extra recognized problems on this developer preview, which you can to find at this hyperlink.
When must you give Android P a shot?
This is most effective the primary Android P unencumber, which Google is asking an alpha construct. It’s no longer waiting for user use — it’s no longer even to be had in the course of the Android Beta Program but. Developer Preview 2 will certainly be extra strong and transfer up to beta standing. That replace arrives in May, and we will be able to be expecting 3 extra developer previews earlier than the overall unencumber in Q3.
- Preview 1 (preliminary unencumber, alpha)
- Preview 2 (incremental replace, beta)
- Preview three (ultimate APIs and legit SDK, Play publishing, beta)
- Preview four (unencumber candidate for checking out)
- Preview five (unencumber candidate for ultimate checking out)
- Final unencumber to AOSP and ecosystem
Our recommendation? Wait till the overall, consumer-ready unencumber in Q3 until you have a 2nd software you can set up it on.
Now I need to pay attention from you. Have you used the primary developer preview but? If so, how has your revel in been up to now?