Looking for our Fitbit Charge 2 vs Garmin vívosmart HR+ comparability? Head right here!
Fitbit vs Garmin: a struggle between two health giants that’s been debated for moderately a while.
Fitbit is by way of a long way essentially the most well known health tracker corporate in the market. I’ve heard such a lot of other people name their health tracker “a Fitbit,” it doesn’t matter what emblem of tracker they’re dressed in on their wrist. But Garmin will have to be thought of in the similar mild too — Garmin makes one of the most absolute best health trackers and watches available on the market.
So which one is higher? Well, there gained’t be a real winner right here, however we will stroll you via one of the most main promoting issues for each and every emblem. Who has the easier app? What are your health tracker choices? Do all of them monitor the similar task metrics? We’ll speak about all of that, and extra, in our definitive Fitbit vs Garmin comparability.
Fitbit vs Garmin: Fitness trackers
No subject which ecosystem you select, you’ll have quite a lot of choices should you’re short of a health tracker. Fitbit lately sells extra health bands on its website online — six to be actual — whilst Garmin’s present lineup is composed of 4 (even though you’ll be able to purchase legacy gadgets from Garmin’s web page should you’d like).
Fitbit health trackers
- Fitbit Charge 2: This is Fitbit’s maximum feature-packed health tracker. It helps a couple of exercise modes, ConnectedGPS (permitting the tracker to piggyback off your telephone’s GPS), loosen up mode (guided respiring), and the bigger display makes it simple to learn smartphone notifications.
- Fitbit Alta HR: The Alta HR is a slimmer model of the Charge 2, however lacking a couple of options. There’s no ConnectedGPS or loosen up mode, and because the display is smaller it may be tough to learn notifications. Other than that, this is principally a smaller Fitbit Charge 2.
- Fitbit Flex 2: If you need a Fitbit and not using a display, purchase the Fitbit Flex 2. It’s light-weight, water resistant, and has superb computerized task popularity, and feels extra like a small bracelet than a health tracker. This will most effective monitor the fundamentals, even though — there’s no middle price observe on board.
- Fitbit Ace: The Ace is Fitbit’s first kid-friendly health tracker. It’s principally a repackaged Alta HR, and will monitor your youngsters’s task all the way through the day. Alongside the Ace, Fitbit additionally introduced a brand new circle of relatives account that permits oldsters to keep watch over their youngsters’ task and pal requests.
- Fitbit Alta: The Alta is an older system that also could be value testing should you’re taking a look for one thing smack-dab in the course of the Flex 2 and Alta HR.
- Fitbit Zip: The oldest system at the record, the Fitbit Zip is an task tracker that clips onto your blouse or pants. It’ll monitor your steps taken, distance traveled, energy burned, and that’s about it.
Further studying: The maximum commonplace Fitbit issues and find out how to repair them
Garmin health trackers
- Garmin vívosport: This is the most efficient health tracker you’ll be able to purchase right now — Garmin, Fitbit, or in a different way. It’s correct, water-resistant, no longer too pricey, and is derived with a integrated GPS. If you don’t want one thing as giant as a sports activities watch however nonetheless need one thing robust, purchase the Garmin vívosport.
- Garmin vívosmart three: The vívosmart three is an excellent task tracker, however you’ll have to position up with moderately a couple of quirks. It has an excessively awkward UI, a colorless design, and no strategy to sync along with your telephone’s GPS. Luckily the cost has dropped about $40 since we reviewed it, striking it slightly below $100.
- Garmin vívofit four: Given the truth that the vívofit four is $10 not up to the vívosmart three, you will have to more than likely simply purchase this system. It has a one-year battery existence, an at all times on show, and it’s water-resistant. We simply want it had ANT+ HR sensor give a boost to (its predecessor did), and relatively higher task monitoring functions.
- Garmin vívofit jr. 2: This is Garmin’s newest health tracker for youngsters. It is available in a host of a laugh designs, it’s swim-friendly, has a one-year battery existence, and can stay monitor of your youngsters’s steps taken and sleep.
But what if you need one thing a bit of extra robust than the gadgets indexed above? You know, one thing with a larger display? Luckily each firms have you ever coated.
Related: Best health trackers | Best Fitbit choices
Fitbit vs Garmin: Smartwatches and recreation watches
Fitbit is nonetheless reasonably new to the smartwatch marketplace, with most effective two gadgets out right now. Neither of those watches are extremely smart, however they’re each forged health watches that may without a doubt strengthen over the years.
Fitbit smartwatches and sports activities watches
- Fitbit Versa: If you’ll be able to are living with out GPS monitoring and desire a Fitbit smartwatch, purchase the Versa. It’s skinny, it’s a lot more horny than the Ionic (underneath), it’s reasonably affordable, and it’s a forged health tracker total.
- Fitbit Ionic: With its onboard GPS, the Ionic is without a doubt the higher-end type of the 2. It gained’t are compatible everybody’s wrists even though, it’s more or less cumbersome, and it’s no longer in reality the most efficient taking a look system in the market. However, this is an excellent health tracker, so simply needless to say seems aren’t the entirety.
Smartwatches and sports activities watches are Garmin’s bread and butter. We’re most effective going to discuss the most well liked 5 — those that may attraction to most of the people — however do observe that the corporate sells a ton of different watches on its website online.
Garmin smartwatches and sports activities watches
- Garmin fenix five: One of the best possible finish recreation watches available on the market, the fenix five line just about has all of it. This is the watch you get when you’ll be able to’t come to a decision on any of the others indexed right here. It has a GPS, correct middle price observe, heaps of recreation profiles, and a battery that may ultimate two weeks on a fee.
- Garmin vívoactive three: If you wish to have one thing a bit of inexpensive than the fenix five, the vívoactive three is your subsequent most suitable option. It’s an out of this world all-rounder — it’s relaxed to put on, has a brilliant touchscreen, it’s tremendous correct, and has a GPS on board. We did in finding the sleep monitoring to be not-so-accurate even though.
- Garmin Forerunner 645 and 645 Music: If you’re a runner and desire a Garmin watch with tune playback, the Forerunner 645 Music is for you. You can retailer as much as 500 songs at once at the watch and movement for your Bluetooth earbuds whilst you’re out on a run. This is an expensive watch, however we’d say the excessive price ticket is value it.
- Garmin Forerunner 935: The Forerunner 935 is an excellent choice for hardcore runners, swimmers, bikers, and triathletes. It has an onboard GPS, two-week battery existence, and gives useful dynamics for working, biking, and swimming that will help you strengthen at your recreation.
- Garmin vívomove HR: The vívomove HR is a hybrid smartwatch that still has a show so you’ll be able to take a look at your notifications and task for the day. At $200, this is a excellent choice for those that need an task tracker however don’t need to sacrifice aesthetics.
Fitbit vs Garmin: Activity and well being monitoring
No subject which ecosystem you select, all of those gadgets will stay monitor of the fundamentals: steps taken, energy burned, and sleep. They’ll additionally monitor your distance traveled, however most effective those with GPS (Ionic, vívosport, and all of Garmin’s working watches) provides you with correct distance metrics. The gadgets that characteristic integrated GPS sensors may even provide you with tempo, cadence, and elevation main points.
The Fitbit Versa, Blaze, and Charge 2 have a characteristic known as Connected GPS that permits your health tracker to piggyback off your telephone’s GPS, so long as it’s in vary. That method you’ll be able to get correct distance metrics with those gadgets should you don’t thoughts wearing your telephone with you on a run.
All gadgets indexed above will monitor your sleep, however I desire sleep monitoring with Fitbit gadgets. The Fitbit app provides you with a ton of main points on overall time asleep, wide awake, REM, mild, and deep sleep. All of this information is displayed in day by day and weekly perspectives, and the app additionally provides you with a snooze benchmark — the common quantity of sleep for your gender and age vary.
Plus, the Ionic and Versa each characteristic relative SpO2 sensors that Fitbit will with a bit of luck at some point use to lend a hand hit upon sleep apnea. For now they’re no longer in use, however the thought in the back of the concept that is a thrilling one.
Garmin’s app additionally tracks your time wide awake, deep and lightweight sleep, and motion, but it surely’s simply no longer as simple to assemble the entire news because it is with Fitbit’s app. It would even be great if Garmin may monitor REM sleep, and display how a lot sleep I will have to be getting.
Side observe: Garmin’s app does inform you how a lot sleep you will have to be getting in comparison to different customers, but it surely’s tucked away within the Insights tab. It’s simple to omit as it’s no longer within the Sleep phase, the place you’d suppose it will have to be positioned.
Both ecosystems provide you with a approach to keep watch over your tension, however each and every corporate’s manner is other. Fitbit’s manner is known as Relax, and walks you via a chain of guided respiring workouts that will help you relax should you’re too wired. Fitbit’s gadgets use the guts price sensor that will help you practice alongside all over respiring workouts. When the workout is executed, Fitbit gadgets don’t in reality do anything else with this data, not like Garmin gadgets.
Numerous Garmin wearables characteristic all-day tension monitoring according to your middle price variability. This permits you to see whilst you’re essentially the most or least wired all the way through the day — an invaluable metric for those that understand (or don’t understand) patterns of their temper. Garmin does be offering guided respiring workouts on a couple of of its gadgets, but it surely doesn’t make the most of the guts price observe that will help you practice alongside.
In May, Fitbit’s smartwatches, the Versa and Ionic, might be a lot more interesting to girls who need to stay higher monitor in their menstrual well being. That’s when the corporate will introduce its new feminine well being monitoring options to each gadgets, which is some way for girls to trace their menstrual cycle and spot the way it connects to their well being. Users will be capable to log cycle information, document signs, and spot dynamic cycle predictions due to Fitbit’s new monitoring set of rules. This characteristic may even make the Fitbit neighborhood even more potent, as there might be devoted sections for girls to discuss their cycles, ovulation, and extra.
Garmin doesn’t lately be offering any feminine well being monitoring options.
Fitbit’s Versa, Ionic, and Blaze additionally give a boost to on-device workout routines known as Fitbit Coach. These are a chain of device-guided workout routines that play tutorials right for your wrist so you’ll be able to practice alongside anyplace you might be. It’s no longer a characteristic everybody will love, however I believe it’s a novel approach to get other people to figure out if they are able to’t make it to a fitness center.
Garmin doesn’t be offering device-guided workout routines, however you do give you the option to create customized workout routines on some Garmin watches. Just open the Garmin Connect app, move to the Workouts phase, faucet the plus button, and you’ll be able to create a customized exercise for working, cycling, swimming, aerobic, or energy coaching.
Fitbit vs Garmin: Apps
Your resolution to select Fitbit or Garmin will possibly rely on which health tracker you need, but it surely’s essential to stay smartphone apps in thoughts, too. After all, this is the place you’ll check out efficiency stats, day by day and weekly task metrics, and extra.
Fitbit’s app is essentially the most person pleasant choice of the 2. Once you open it up, you’ll be offered with a house display that’s simple at the eyes and easy to navigate. Your day by day stats are proven on the best, and you’ll be able to scroll down to peer your contemporary workout and sleep. If you need to take a look at efficiency or sleep metrics over the years, simply click on at the class right from the primary display and also you’ll see your whole earlier task. This makes it simple to make use of for first-timers, as you don’t wish to scroll via other tabs or menus to search out what you need.
Garmin’s app has advanced so much during the last 12 months, but it surely’s nonetheless a bit of extra sophisticated. The primary display on Garmin Connect will show your day by day task metrics, and clicking on each and every one provides you with additional info and your historical past. It’s far more information-dense than Fitbit’s app, that could be a excellent or unhealthy factor relying on what form of person you might be. I in reality like how a lot information Garmin’s app presentations on each and every display, however I’ve additionally been the use of Garmin gadgets for years, so I’m used to it by way of now.
On best of the already information-dense house display, Garmin Connect additionally has a slide-out menu at the facet that permits you to see task, well being, and function stats, in addition to customized workout routines, insights, and extra. This is principally an overflow menu for issues that Garmin couldn’t are compatible within the backside tab.
Garmin’s app presentations extra post-workout news, whilst Fitbit’s turns out adore it’s geared extra against freshmen. If you need the entire health metrics to be had, we’d counsel going with Garmin.
Both apps characteristic menus on the backside that permit you to briefly soar into your demanding situations, notifications, and extra. Garmin Connect includes a to hand calendar that permits you to soar again to any date you’d like to peer your task for that day. Fitbit’s app permits you to glance again at your task historical past too, however you wish to have to scroll again at some point at a time. It’s simply more straightforward to leap round in Garmin’s app.
Related: The absolute best working apps for Android
Garmin Connect could have a leg up at the calendar, however Fitbit knocks it out of the park with social options. Fitbit’s neighborhood tab permits you to connect to different Fitbit homeowners that experience identical pursuits to you. You can touch upon different customers’ pictures, sign up for teams, and extra. It’s principally a whole social community within the Fitbit app, and it’s superior.
Garmin’s app permits you to sign up for teams too, but it surely’s no longer just about as social as Fitbit’s.
Fitbit additionally wins in relation to third-party app give a boost to. Dozens of third-party smartphone apps paintings with Fitbit’s app — like MyFitnessGood friend, MapMyRun, Weight Watchers, and extra — so your whole Fitbit information will mechanically sync along with your favourite well being and health programs. Garmin’s app is most effective appropriate with 3 third-party smartphone apps: Microsoft Office 365, MyFitnessGood friend, and Strava. We’d in reality like to peer Garmin upload extra app integrations one day.
If you occur to shop for a smartwatch from both corporate, you’ll additionally be capable to obtain apps and watch faces right for your watch. There are masses of watch apps appropriate with Garmin gadgets. They can all be discovered within the Connect IQ phase of Garmin’s app. Plus, Garmin simply introduced that third-party watch apps will be capable to combine tune, podcasts, and different audio content material into appropriate Garmin gadgets.
Fitbit is nonetheless reasonably new to the smartwatch area, so there aren’t a ton of watch apps to be had for the Versa or Ionic but. The quantity has grown immensely since Fitbit first introduced its app retailer, which is an excellent signal for the way forward for the ecosystem.
Fitbit vs Garmin: Which ecosystem is right for you?
So which ecosystem is higher? Where will have to you spend your hard earned money? We’re sorry to mention that there’s no definitive solution to that. It all depends upon what form of person you might be and what you wish to have out of a health system.
It’s laborious to not steer extra informal customers — the oldsters who simply need a greater thought in their day by day task — against Fitbit. The app is more straightforward to know, Fitbit gadgets are stellar health trackers, they usually’re extra fashionable. But there are many choices in Fitbit’s lineup if you wish to move roughly complicated along with your health monitoring. The Ionic is there for your high-end GPS smartwatch wishes, whilst the Flex 2 is there should you simply desire a bracelet-type system that’ll monitor your steps.
That’s to not say Garmin will have to be counted out for extra informal customers both. The vívofit four is a forged entry-level tracker, and at the different finish of the spectrum sits the Garmin vívosport — lately our favourite health tracker available on the market. Garmin’s gadgets glance extra like health trackers in comparison to Fitbit’s, however oftentimes they pack in additional options which may be really helpful to a few customers. Plus, Garmin’s app provides you with as a lot news — graphs, charts, you title it — because it perhaps can after each and every exercise. If you need to head all-in on health monitoring and want the ones minute main points, we’d counsel Garmin.
Whichever ecosystem you select, we expect you’ll be simply fantastic — each Fitbit and Garmin be offering quite a lot of gadgets, services and products, and apps that are meant to haven’t any downside suiting most of the people’s wishes.
Alright, now it’s your flip — which ecosystem is your favourite? Be certain to hold forth within the feedback underneath!
Next: How to get in form along with your health tracker in simply 7 mins… an afternoon